Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Song of the Wave


Song of the Wave

The strong shore is my beloved
and I am his sweetheart.
We are at last united by love, 
and then the moon draws me from him.

I go to him in haste and depart
reluctantly, with many
little farewells.

I steal swiftly from behind the
blue horizon to cast the silver of
my foam upon the gold of his sand, 
and we blend in melted brilliance.

I quench his thirst and submerge his heart; 
he softens my voice and subdues my temper.
At dawn I whisper the rules of love to him,
and he embraces me longingly.

At eventide I sing to him the song of hope, 
and then print smooth kisses upon his face;
I am swift and fearful, but he
is quiet, patient, and thoughtful. 
His broad bosom soothes my restlessness.

As the tide comes we caress each other,
and when it withdraws, 
I drop to his feet in prayer.

Many times have I danced around mermaids
as they rose from the depths and rested
upon my crest to watch the stars.

Many times have I heard lovers lost
in the vastness, and I echoed their sighs.

Many times have I teased the great rocks
and fondled them with a smile, but never
have I received laughter from them.

Many times have I lifted drowning souls
And carried them tenderly to my beloved shore.
He gives them strength as in turn he takes mine.

Many times have I stolen gems from the
depths and presented them to my beloved shore.
He takes them in silence, but still I give,
for he welcomes me ever again.

In the heaviness of night, when all
creatures seek the ghost of slumber, 
I sit up, singing at one time
and sighing at another. 
I am awake always.

Alas! Sleeplessness has weakened me!
But I am a lover, and the truth of love is strong.
I may be weary, but I shall never die.

Khalil Gibran



No comments:

Post a Comment